Since you’re here, you must have made it through the installation process. Nicely done! We’re almost ready to get our hands dirty with a few settings to make the site your own but first we need to get the theme installed and ready to go.
Installing for the first time
If you just set up hosting or if you already had hosting and you’re just setting up the theme for the first time, these are the steps for you. If you’re upgrading from a previous version of WP Writer’s Block, use the steps here.
- First, log into your WordPress install using the instructions from the installer. When you install WordPress, you should have created a user name and a password. Just add “/wp-admin” to the end of your domain name to find the admin login.
- When you first log in, you’ll be at the Dashboard. We want to get the theme installed so go Appearance > Themes.
- On self-hosted WordPress installs (like the one you’re using) there will be an Install Themes tab at the top. Click that, then look for the small Upload link near the top and click that:
- Click the Choose File button to open a window to your file system. What you’re looking for is the ZIP file that you received when you downloaded the theme. This is likely in a folder called “Downloads” or on your desktop. Don’t open that package, though, just upload it as it came from us. Some computers will automatically unzip the package but you should still have the .ZIP file where the package was downloaded.
- Click Install Now and you should, after a few seconds, see “Theme installed successfully.”
- Now, click the Activate link to turn the theme on for your site.
And that’s a wrap! You’re now running WordPress with the WP Writer’s Block theme. Take a break and celebrate. When you’re ready …
Next: WordPress settings >